Rocksolid Light

Welcome to Rocksolid Light

"Aww, if you make me cry anymore, you'll fog up my helmet." -- "Visionaries" cartoon

aus+uk / aus.cars / MG ZS cruise control

SubjectAuthor
* MG ZS cruise controlMighty Mouse
+- MG ZS cruise controlClocky
+* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
|+* MG ZS cruise controlXeno
||+* MG ZS cruise controlMighty Mouse
|||`* MG ZS cruise controlXeno
||| `* MG ZS cruise controlMighty Mouse
|||  +- MG ZS cruise controlXeno
|||  +- MG ZS cruise controlXeno
|||  `* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
|||   +- MG ZS cruise controlXeno
|||   +* MG ZS cruise controlKeithr0
|||   |`* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
|||   | `* MG ZS cruise controlKeithr0
|||   |  +* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
|||   |  |`* MG ZS cruise controlKeithr0
|||   |  | `* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
|||   |  |  `- MG ZS cruise controlXeno
|||   |  +- MG ZS cruise controlDaryl
|||   |  +- MG ZS cruise controlXeno
|||   |  `* MG ZS cruise controlClocky
|||   |   `- MG ZS cruise controlXeno
|||   `* MG ZS cruise controlDaryl
|||    +- MG ZS cruise controlXeno
|||    `* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
|||     +- MG ZS cruise controlXeno
|||     +* MG ZS cruise controlalvey
|||     |`* MG ZS cruise controllindsay
|||     | +* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
|||     | |`* MG ZS cruise controlLuca
|||     | | `* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
|||     | |  +- MG ZS cruise controlXeno
|||     | |  `- MG ZS cruise controlalvey
|||     | `- MG ZS cruise controlalvey
|||     `* MG ZS cruise controlDaryl
|||      `* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
|||       `- MG ZS cruise controlalvey
||`* MG ZS cruise controlClocky
|| `- MG ZS cruise controlXeno
|`* MG ZS cruise controlDaryl
| `* MG ZS cruise controlMighty Mouse
|  `- MG ZS cruise controlXeno
`* MG ZS cruise controlTrevor Wilson
 +- MG ZS cruise controlClocky
 +* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
 |`* MG ZS cruise controlTrevor Wilson
 | +* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
 | |`* MG ZS cruise controlTrevor Wilson
 | | +- MG ZS cruise controlDaryl
 | | +* MG ZS cruise controlMighty Mouse
 | | |+- MG ZS cruise controlXeno
 | | |`- MG ZS cruise controlTrevor Wilson
 | | `* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
 | |  `* MG ZS cruise controlTrevor Wilson
 | |   +- MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
 | |   `- MG ZS cruise controlClocky
 | `* MG ZS cruise controlMighty Mouse
 |  +* MG ZS cruise controlXeno
 |  |`* MG ZS cruise controlTrevor Wilson
 |  | +* MG ZS cruise controllindsay
 |  | |`* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
 |  | | `- MG ZS cruise controlDaryl
 |  | `- MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
 |  +* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
 |  |`* MG ZS cruise controlDaryl
 |  | +* MG ZS cruise controlTrevor Wilson
 |  | |`* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
 |  | | `- MG ZS cruise controlTrevor Wilson
 |  | `* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
 |  |  `* MG ZS cruise controlTrevor Wilson
 |  |   +* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
 |  |   |`- MG ZS cruise controlTrevor Wilson
 |  |   `- MG ZS cruise controlDaryl
 |  `* MG ZS cruise controlTrevor Wilson
 |   `* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
 |    `* MG ZS cruise controlTrevor Wilson
 |     +- MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
 |     `* MG ZS cruise controlClocky
 |      `* MG ZS cruise controlTrevor Wilson
 |       `* MG ZS cruise controlNoddy
 |        `- MG ZS cruise controlClocky
 `- MG ZS cruise controlMighty Mouse

Pages:1234
MG ZS cruise control

<kqtuv5FselcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29685&group=aus.cars#29685

From: meow@pussy.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: MG ZS cruise control
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 16:06:43 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 05:06 UTC

there was some criticism of the cruise control wand on MG vehicles as
being a stupid idea, and why on earth would they do it that way? I
hadn't bothered to check it out until today, but having now done so, I
have now concluded it is in fact a good idea. firstly the lever is well
placed out of the way of others, and it's simple to operate - up/down
speed control, forward/back off/on, and end press set speed - but the
big advantage is that you don't need to take your eyes off the road to
use it. of course, with steering wheel operated controls, if you are
familiar with their location you don't need to either, but easier to
grab a lever than fiddle for buttons.

--
Have a nice day!.. except noddy

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
a non-political, fact-based site which examines the ideological
threat that Islam poses to human dignity and freedom

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<uicid9$silk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29688&group=aus.cars#29688

From: notgonna@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: MG ZS cruise control
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 13:36:05 +0800
 by: Clocky - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 05:36 UTC

On 7/11/2023 1:06 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:

> there was some criticism of the cruise control wand on MG vehicles as
> being a stupid idea, and why on earth would they do it that way? I
> hadn't bothered to check it out until today, but having now done so, I
> have now concluded it is in fact a good idea. firstly the lever is well
> placed out of the way of others, and it's simple to operate - up/down
> speed control, forward/back off/on, and end press set speed - but the
> big advantage is that you don't need to take your eyes off the road to
> use it. of course, with steering wheel operated controls, if you are
> familiar with their location you don't need to either, but easier to
> grab a lever than fiddle for buttons.

Awesome. I'm still laughing over the fact that the fraud claimed you
couldn't turn the cruise control off on an Astra... with the button
being right at the end of the stalk where it couldn't have been any more
obvious!

No wonder the useless, blind and grossly incompetent fake never noticed
that his OWN Jeep wasn't even remotely "All Imperial".

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<uicj6g$sltc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29691&group=aus.cars#29691

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 16:50:06 +1100
 by: Noddy - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 05:50 UTC

On 7/11/2023 4:06 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:

> there was some criticism of the cruise control wand on MG vehicles as
> being a stupid idea, and why on earth would they do it that way? I
> hadn't bothered to check it out until today, but having now done so, I
> have now concluded it is in fact a good idea. firstly the lever is well
> placed out of the way of others, and it's simple to operate - up/down
> speed control, forward/back off/on, and end press set speed - but the
> big advantage is that you don't need to take your eyes off the road to
> use it. of course, with steering wheel operated controls, if you are
> familiar with their location you don't need to either, but easier to
> grab a lever than fiddle for buttons.

You might think so, but there are probably many who don't agree with you :)

If this is the cruise system you're talking about, then I think it's
pretty dumb:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DNIiGd3VI0

Stalk mounted cruise control systems have been around for some time, and
most have one indelible weakness in that being hidden behind the
steering wheel they are somewhat fussier to use than steering wheel
buttons that are right in front of you. You generally have to take your
hand off the wheel to use them which is not everyone's cup of tea, and
the physical act of moving a lever with your hand is certainly less
intuitive than pressing a button or moving a rocker switch with your
thumb without ever needing to move your hand away from the wheel.

Familiarity is the key as you say, but one is certainly more cumbersome
to use than the other, and I would think that given the overwhelming
majority of cars come with steering wheel mounted buttons as opposed to
steering column mounted lever controls the average punter is far more
comfortable with the wheel mounted buttons.

Just out of curiosity, you've had the car, what, a month and a half? How
come you're only just now working out the controls?

--
--
--

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<kqu2e8FrviqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29692&group=aus.cars#29692

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 17:06:00 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 06:06 UTC

On 7/11/2023 4:50 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 7/11/2023 4:06 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>>
>> there was some criticism of the cruise control wand on MG vehicles as
>> being a stupid idea, and why on earth would they do it that way? I
>> hadn't bothered to check it out until today, but having now done so, I
>> have now concluded it is in fact a good idea. firstly the lever is
>> well placed out of the way of others, and it's simple to operate -
>> up/down speed control, forward/back off/on, and end press set speed -
>> but the big advantage is that you don't need to take your eyes off the
>> road to use it. of course, with steering wheel operated controls, if
>> you are familiar with their location you don't need to either, but
>> easier to grab a lever than fiddle for buttons.
>
> You might think so, but there are probably many who don't agree with you :)

People like you with short fat fingers? Ok, but you're strange!

> If this is the cruise system you're talking about, then I think it's
> pretty dumb:
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DNIiGd3VI0
>
> Stalk mounted cruise control systems have been around for some time, and
> most have one indelible weakness in that being hidden behind the
> steering wheel they are somewhat fussier to use than steering wheel
> buttons that are right in front of you. You generally have to take your
> hand off the wheel to use them which is not everyone's cup of tea, and
> the physical act of moving a lever with your hand is certainly less
> intuitive than pressing a button or moving a rocker switch with your
> thumb without ever needing to move your hand away from the wheel.

What a load of shit! I have never had to remove my hands from the
steering wheel to operate cruise controls on pretty much any car I've
driven in recent times. Stalks, buttons, makes no difference. Just get
familiar and develop a technique.

> Familiarity is the key as you say, but one is certainly more cumbersome
> to use than the other, and I would think that given the overwhelming
> majority of cars come with steering wheel mounted buttons as opposed to
> steering column mounted lever controls the average punter is far more
> comfortable with the wheel mounted buttons.

I prefer stalk cruise controls.

> Just out of curiosity, you've had the car, what, a month and a half? How
> come you're only just now working out the controls?

He's just *mentioning it now*. Please try to keep up.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<kqu3q9Ft4kfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29693&group=aus.cars#29693

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 17:29:29 +1100
 by: Daryl - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 06:29 UTC

On 7/11/2023 4:50 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 7/11/2023 4:06 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>>
>> there was some criticism of the cruise control wand on MG vehicles as
>> being a stupid idea, and why on earth would they do it that way? I
>> hadn't bothered to check it out until today, but having now done so, I
>> have now concluded it is in fact a good idea. firstly the lever is
>> well placed out of the way of others, and it's simple to operate -
>> up/down speed control, forward/back off/on, and end press set speed -
>> but the big advantage is that you don't need to take your eyes off the
>> road to use it. of course, with steering wheel operated controls, if
>> you are familiar with their location you don't need to either, but
>> easier to grab a lever than fiddle for buttons.
>
> You might think so, but there are probably many who don't agree with you :)
>

> If this is the cruise system you're talking about, then I think it's
> pretty dumb:
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DNIiGd3VI0
>
> Stalk mounted cruise control systems have been around for some time, and
> most have one indelible weakness in that being hidden behind the
> steering wheel they are somewhat fussier to use than steering wheel
> buttons that are right in front of you. You generally have to take your
> hand off the wheel to use them which is not everyone's cup of tea, and
> the physical act of moving a lever with your hand is certainly less
> intuitive than pressing a button or moving a rocker switch with your
> thumb without ever needing to move your hand away from the wheel.
>
> Familiarity is the key as you say, but one is certainly more cumbersome
> to use than the other, and I would think that given the overwhelming
> majority of cars come with steering wheel mounted buttons as opposed to
> steering column mounted lever controls the average punter is far more
> comfortable with the wheel mounted buttons.
>
> Just out of curiosity, you've had the car, what, a month and a half? How
> come you're only just now working out the controls?

LOL.
My MB and Porsche both have stalks for the CC, MB is very easy to use
because its located to the left and above the steering column so easy to
see and reach.
The Porsche control is mounted low on the RH side of the column and not
so easy to use at first but not so bad once you get used to it.
Both cars are more than 20yrs old so no great surprise that they are
different to current model cars which all seem to use steering wheel
controls.
Also no surprise that the Chinese MG uses 20yr old tech.

--
Daryl

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<kqu4bpFtbhtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29694&group=aus.cars#29694

From: meow@pussy.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 17:38:47 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 06:38 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> On 7/11/2023 4:50 pm, Noddy wrote:
>> On 7/11/2023 4:06 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>>>
>>> there was some criticism of the cruise control wand on MG vehicles
>>> as being a stupid idea, and why on earth would they do it that way?
>>> I hadn't bothered to check it out until today, but having now done
>>> so, I have now concluded it is in fact a good idea. firstly the
>>> lever is well placed out of the way of others, and it's simple to
>>> operate - up/down speed control, forward/back off/on, and end press
>>> set speed - but the big advantage is that you don't need to take
>>> your eyes off the road to use it. of course, with steering wheel
>>> operated controls, if you are familiar with their location you don't
>>> need to either, but easier to grab a lever than fiddle for buttons.
>>
>> You might think so, but there are probably many who don't agree with
>> you :)
>>
> People like you with short fat fingers? Ok, but you're strange!
>>
>> If this is the cruise system you're talking about, then I think it's
>> pretty dumb:
>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DNIiGd3VI0

that's different to mine, more complicated with extra functions

>> Stalk mounted cruise control systems have been around for some time,
>> and most have one indelible weakness in that being hidden behind the
>> steering wheel they are somewhat fussier to use than steering wheel
>> buttons that are right in front of you. You generally have to take
>> your hand off the wheel to use them which is not everyone's cup of
>> tea, and the physical act of moving a lever with your hand is
>> certainly less intuitive than pressing a button or moving a rocker
>> switch with your thumb without ever needing to move your hand away
>> from the wheel.
>
> What a load of shit! I have never had to remove my hands from the
> steering wheel to operate cruise controls on pretty much any car I've
> driven in recent times. Stalks, buttons, makes no difference. Just get
> familiar and develop a technique.

I hadn't thought about that, but I just tried, and you're right! the
lever is positioned such that all operations can be done without
removing hands from the steering wheel. plus the added advantage of not
having to take your eyes off the road. the Lancer had small steering
wheel buttons, and I had to look to make sure I was pressing the right
ones, especially since I don't use cruise control much.

>> Familiarity is the key as you say, but one is certainly more
>> cumbersome to use than the other, and I would think that given the
>> overwhelming majority of cars come with steering wheel mounted
>> buttons as opposed to steering column mounted lever controls the
>> average punter is far more comfortable with the wheel mounted buttons.
>
> I prefer stalk cruise controls.

I do too now

>> Just out of curiosity, you've had the car, what, a month and a half?
>> How come you're only just now working out the controls?
>
> He's just *mentioning it now*. Please try to keep up.

yeah I hadn't bothered to check it out since I pretty much only use cc
when traveling, like on holidays

--
Have a nice day!.. except noddy

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
a non-political, fact-based site which examines the ideological
threat that Islam poses to human dignity and freedom

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<kqu4fdFtbhtU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29695&group=aus.cars#29695

From: meow@pussy.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 17:40:45 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 06:40 UTC

Daryl wrote:
> On 7/11/2023 4:50 pm, Noddy wrote:
>> On 7/11/2023 4:06 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>>>
>>> there was some criticism of the cruise control wand on MG vehicles
>>> as being a stupid idea, and why on earth would they do it that way?
>>> I hadn't bothered to check it out until today, but having now done
>>> so, I have now concluded it is in fact a good idea. firstly the
>>> lever is well placed out of the way of others, and it's simple to
>>> operate - up/down speed control, forward/back off/on, and end press
>>> set speed - but the big advantage is that you don't need to take
>>> your eyes off the road to use it. of course, with steering wheel
>>> operated controls, if you are familiar with their location you don't
>>> need to either, but easier to grab a lever than fiddle for buttons.
>>
>> You might think so, but there are probably many who don't agree with
>> you :)
>>

>> If this is the cruise system you're talking about, then I think it's
>> pretty dumb:
>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DNIiGd3VI0
>>
>> Stalk mounted cruise control systems have been around for some time,
>> and most have one indelible weakness in that being hidden behind the
>> steering wheel they are somewhat fussier to use than steering wheel
>> buttons that are right in front of you. You generally have to take
>> your hand off the wheel to use them which is not everyone's cup of
>> tea, and the physical act of moving a lever with your hand is
>> certainly less intuitive than pressing a button or moving a rocker
>> switch with your thumb without ever needing to move your hand away
>> from the wheel.
>>
>> Familiarity is the key as you say, but one is certainly more
>> cumbersome to use than the other, and I would think that given the
>> overwhelming majority of cars come with steering wheel mounted
>> buttons as opposed to steering column mounted lever controls the
>> average punter is far more comfortable with the wheel mounted buttons.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, you've had the car, what, a month and a half?
>> How come you're only just now working out the controls?
>>

> LOL.
> My MB and Porsche both have stalks for the CC, MB is very easy to use
> because its located to the left and above the steering column so easy
> to see and reach.
> The Porsche control is mounted low on the RH side of the column and
> not so easy to use at first but not so bad once you get used to it.
> Both cars are more than 20yrs old so no great surprise that they are
> different to current model cars which all seem to use steering wheel
> controls.

that could be just for cost saving

> Also no surprise that the Chinese MG uses 20yr old tech.

--
Have a nice day!.. except noddy

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
a non-political, fact-based site which examines the ideological
threat that Islam poses to human dignity and freedom

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<kqu5b0FrviqU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29698&group=aus.cars#29698

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 17:55:27 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 06:55 UTC

On 7/11/2023 5:38 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Xeno wrote:

>>> You might think so, but there are probably many who don't agree with
>>> you :)
>>>
>> People like you with short fat fingers? Ok, but you're strange!
>>>
>>> If this is the cruise system you're talking about, then I think it's
>>> pretty dumb:

> that's different to mine, more complicated with extra functions
>

>>> Stalk mounted cruise control systems have been around for some time,
>>> and most have one indelible weakness in that being hidden behind the
>>> steering wheel they are somewhat fussier to use than steering wheel
>>> buttons that are right in front of you. You generally have to take
>>> your hand off the wheel to use them which is not everyone's cup of
>>> tea, and the physical act of moving a lever with your hand is
>>> certainly less intuitive than pressing a button or moving a rocker
>>> switch with your thumb without ever needing to move your hand away
>>> from the wheel.
>>
>> What a load of shit! I have never had to remove my hands from the
>> steering wheel to operate cruise controls on pretty much any car I've
>> driven in recent times. Stalks, buttons, makes no difference. Just get
>> familiar and develop a technique.
>
> I hadn't thought about that, but I just tried, and you're right! the
> lever is positioned such that all operations can be done without
> removing hands from the steering wheel. plus the added advantage of not

Pre-cisely!

> having to take your eyes off the road. the Lancer had small steering
> wheel buttons, and I had to look to make sure I was pressing the right
> ones, especially since I don't use cruise control much.
>

>>> Familiarity is the key as you say, but one is certainly more
>>> cumbersome to use than the other, and I would think that given the
>>> overwhelming majority of cars come with steering wheel mounted
>>> buttons as opposed to steering column mounted lever controls the
>>> average punter is far more comfortable with the wheel mounted buttons.
>>
>> I prefer stalk cruise controls.
>
> I do too now

The Toy is stalk, the Suzi is button, I prefer the stalk.

>>> Just out of curiosity, you've had the car, what, a month and a half?
>>> How come you're only just now working out the controls?
>>
>> He's just *mentioning it now*. Please try to keep up.
>>

> yeah I hadn't bothered to check it out since I pretty much only use cc
> when traveling, like on holidays

I use CC regularly.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<kqu5hhFrviqU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29699&group=aus.cars#29699

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 17:58:56 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 06:58 UTC

On 7/11/2023 5:40 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Daryl wrote:

>>> You might think so, but there are probably many who don't agree with
>>> you :)
>>>

>>> If this is the cruise system you're talking about, then I think it's
>>> pretty dumb:

>>> Stalk mounted cruise control systems have been around for some time,
>>> and most have one indelible weakness in that being hidden behind the
>>> steering wheel they are somewhat fussier to use than steering wheel
>>> buttons that are right in front of you. You generally have to take
>>> your hand off the wheel to use them which is not everyone's cup of
>>> tea, and the physical act of moving a lever with your hand is
>>> certainly less intuitive than pressing a button or moving a rocker
>>> switch with your thumb without ever needing to move your hand away
>>> from the wheel.
>>>
>>> Familiarity is the key as you say, but one is certainly more
>>> cumbersome to use than the other, and I would think that given the
>>> overwhelming majority of cars come with steering wheel mounted
>>> buttons as opposed to steering column mounted lever controls the
>>> average punter is far more comfortable with the wheel mounted buttons.
>>>
>>> Just out of curiosity, you've had the car, what, a month and a half?
>>> How come you're only just now working out the controls?
>>>

>> LOL.
>> My MB and Porsche both have stalks for the CC, MB is very easy to use
>> because its located to the left and above the steering column so easy
>> to see and reach.
>> The Porsche control is mounted low on the RH side of the column and
>> not so easy to use at first but not so bad once you get used to it.
>> Both cars are more than 20yrs old so no great surprise that they are
>> different to current model cars which all seem to use steering wheel
>> controls.
>
> that could be just for cost saving

Quite likely. Any controls on the steering wheel complicate life for the
clockspring. Controls on a stalk however ...

>> Also no surprise that the Chinese MG uses 20yr old tech.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<kqu5moFtiaaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29700&group=aus.cars#29700

From: meow@pussy.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 18:01:42 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 07:01 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> On 7/11/2023 5:38 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:

>>> People like you with short fat fingers? Ok, but you're strange!

>> that's different to mine, more complicated with extra functions

>>> What a load of shit! I have never had to remove my hands from the
>>> steering wheel to operate cruise controls on pretty much any car
>>> I've driven in recent times. Stalks, buttons, makes no difference.
>>> Just get familiar and develop a technique.
>>
>> I hadn't thought about that, but I just tried, and you're right! the
>> lever is positioned such that all operations can be done without
>> removing hands from the steering wheel. plus the added advantage of not
>
> Pre-cisely!
>
>> having to take your eyes off the road. the Lancer had small steering
>> wheel buttons, and I had to look to make sure I was pressing the
>> right ones, especially since I don't use cruise control much.

>>> I prefer stalk cruise controls.
>>
>> I do too now
>
> The Toy is stalk, the Suzi is button, I prefer the stalk.

what year is the Toyota? according to Daryl stalks are 20 yo technology

>>> He's just *mentioning it now*. Please try to keep up.
>>>

>> yeah I hadn't bothered to check it out since I pretty much only use
>> cc when traveling, like on holidays
>>
> I use CC regularly.

you're in a location where you can use it. not much use for it driving
in the suburbs.

--
Have a nice day!.. except noddy

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
a non-political, fact-based site which examines the ideological
threat that Islam poses to human dignity and freedom

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<kqu7d4FrviqU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29701&group=aus.cars#29701

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 18:30:43 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 07:30 UTC

On 7/11/2023 6:01 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Xeno wrote:

>>> that's different to mine, more complicated with extra functions

>>> I hadn't thought about that, but I just tried, and you're right! the
>>> lever is positioned such that all operations can be done without
>>> removing hands from the steering wheel. plus the added advantage of not
>>
>> Pre-cisely!
>>
>>> having to take your eyes off the road. the Lancer had small steering
>>> wheel buttons, and I had to look to make sure I was pressing the
>>> right ones, especially since I don't use cruise control much.

>>> I do too now
>>
>> The Toy is stalk, the Suzi is button, I prefer the stalk.
>
> what year is the Toyota? according to Daryl stalks are 20 yo technology

2016

>>> yeah I hadn't bothered to check it out since I pretty much only use
>>> cc when traveling, like on holidays
>>>
>> I use CC regularly.
>>

> you're in a location where you can use it. not much use for it driving
> in the suburbs.

Yeah, I get out on the highway quite a bit. Grafton a couple of weeks
back for a birthday party for instance, Hunter Valley to visit rellies,
Gold Coast for the occasional shopping trip - Harbour Town, Pacific
Fair, etc.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<kqu8nbFu1odU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29702&group=aus.cars#29702

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 18:53:14 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 07:53 UTC

On 7/11/2023 6:01 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Xeno wrote:

>>> that's different to mine, more complicated with extra functions

>>> I hadn't thought about that, but I just tried, and you're right! the
>>> lever is positioned such that all operations can be done without
>>> removing hands from the steering wheel. plus the added advantage of not
>>
>> Pre-cisely!
>>
>>> having to take your eyes off the road. the Lancer had small steering
>>> wheel buttons, and I had to look to make sure I was pressing the
>>> right ones, especially since I don't use cruise control much.

>>> I do too now
>>
>> The Toy is stalk, the Suzi is button, I prefer the stalk.
>
> what year is the Toyota? according to Daryl stalks are 20 yo technology

Seems the current models have active cruise control and wheel mounted
controls.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<uid0j3$um5u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29703&group=aus.cars#29703

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 20:38:43 +1100
 by: Noddy - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:38 UTC

On 7/11/2023 6:01 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Xeno wrote:

> you're in a location where you can use it. not much use for it driving
> in the suburbs.

It's *perfect* for driving in the suburbs. Especially if it's adaptive
cruise.

I use it every day.

--
--
--

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<kquhgdFvdcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29704&group=aus.cars#29704

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 21:23:09 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 10:23 UTC

On 7/11/2023 8:38 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 7/11/2023 6:01 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:
>
>> you're in a location where you can use it. not much use for it driving
>> in the suburbs.
>
> It's *perfect* for driving in the suburbs. Especially if it's adaptive
> cruise.
>
> I use it every day.

I'm sure you do Darren, but your *burbs* are somewhat *sparse* in the
overall scheme of things.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<kquo6uF2549U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29705&group=aus.cars#29705

From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 22:17:34 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 12:17 UTC

On 7/11/2023 7:38 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 7/11/2023 6:01 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:
>
>> you're in a location where you can use it. not much use for it driving
>> in the suburbs.
>
> It's *perfect* for driving in the suburbs. Especially if it's adaptive
> cruise.
>
> I use it every day.

It's a 15 minute drive through the country into town, much of it is an
80K limit. I use CC to stay out of trouble with the Hyundai vans that
are parked along the way from time to time.

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<uidb9d$10eg6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29706&group=aus.cars#29706

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 23:41:17 +1100
 by: Noddy - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 12:41 UTC

On 7/11/2023 11:17 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 7/11/2023 7:38 pm, Noddy wrote:
>> On 7/11/2023 6:01 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>>> Xeno wrote:
>>
>>> you're in a location where you can use it. not much use for it
>>> driving in the suburbs.
>>
>> It's *perfect* for driving in the suburbs. Especially if it's adaptive
>> cruise.
>>
>> I use it every day.
>>

> It's a 15 minute drive through the country into town, much of it is an
> 80K limit. I use CC to stay out of trouble with the Hyundai vans that
> are parked along the way from time to time.

Much the same for me.

The adaptive cruise in the Ranger is excellent in that it varies the
speed with the traffic conditions like any other adaptive cruise, but it
also has active lane keeping assist and speed sign recognition so it not
only keeps the thing on the road where it's supposed to be but also
varies the speed according to changes in the posted limit.

All three active components work very well together, and the speed sign
recognition is exceptionally good. I've not come across a sign yet it
hasn't read correctly and adjusted the speed accordingly, including
temporary signs for roadworks. It also recognises variable speed zones,
such as in school areas where the limit changes according to the time.

It's incredibly smart, and I'm very impressed with it.

--
--
--

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<uidbnh$10icv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29708&group=aus.cars#29708

From: notgonna@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 20:48:46 +0800
 by: Clocky - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 12:48 UTC

On 7/11/2023 2:06 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 7/11/2023 4:50 pm, Noddy wrote:
>> On 7/11/2023 4:06 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>>>
>>> there was some criticism of the cruise control wand on MG vehicles as
>>> being a stupid idea, and why on earth would they do it that way? I
>>> hadn't bothered to check it out until today, but having now done so,
>>> I have now concluded it is in fact a good idea. firstly the lever is
>>> well placed out of the way of others, and it's simple to operate -
>>> up/down speed control, forward/back off/on, and end press set speed -
>>> but the big advantage is that you don't need to take your eyes off
>>> the road to use it. of course, with steering wheel operated controls,
>>> if you are familiar with their location you don't need to either, but
>>> easier to grab a lever than fiddle for buttons.
>>
>> You might think so, but there are probably many who don't agree with
>> you :)
>>
> People like you with short fat fingers? Ok, but you're strange!

Indeed.

He must be a bit of a munt because you could easily use the cruise
control on an Astra (yes even to turn it off) without looking or taking
your hand of the wheel.

>> If this is the cruise system you're talking about, then I think it's
>> pretty dumb:
>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DNIiGd3VI0
>>
>> Stalk mounted cruise control systems have been around for some time,
>> and most have one indelible weakness in that being hidden behind the
>> steering wheel they are somewhat fussier to use than steering wheel
>> buttons that are right in front of you. You generally have to take
>> your hand off the wheel to use them which is not everyone's cup of
>> tea, and the physical act of moving a lever with your hand is
>> certainly less intuitive than pressing a button or moving a rocker
>> switch with your thumb without ever needing to move your hand away
>> from the wheel.
>
> What a load of shit! I have never had to remove my hands from the
> steering wheel to operate cruise controls on pretty much any car I've
> driven in recent times. Stalks, buttons, makes no difference. Just get
> familiar and develop a technique.
>>
>> Familiarity is the key as you say, but one is certainly more
>> cumbersome to use than the other, and I would think that given the
>> overwhelming majority of cars come with steering wheel mounted buttons
>> as opposed to steering column mounted lever controls the average
>> punter is far more comfortable with the wheel mounted buttons.
>
> I prefer stalk cruise controls.

I always have too.

>> Just out of curiosity, you've had the car, what, a month and a half?
>> How come you're only just now working out the controls?
>
> He's just *mentioning it now*. Please try to keep up.

He's hopeless.

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a
proven liar."

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<kqus2nF2kv2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29709&group=aus.cars#29709

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 00:23:34 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 13:23 UTC

On 7/11/2023 11:48 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 7/11/2023 2:06 pm, Xeno wrote:

>>> You might think so, but there are probably many who don't agree with
>>> you :)
>>>
>> People like you with short fat fingers? Ok, but you're strange!
>
> Indeed.
>
> He must be a bit of a munt because you could easily use the cruise
> control on an Astra (yes even to turn it off) without looking or taking
> your hand of the wheel.

I haven't yet seen one that isn't designed to be used while allowing
hands to remain on the steering wheel. FFS, it's the whole idea of
steering wheel mounted controls - keep the hands where they need to be.
And it doesn't matter whether its stalks or buttons. Darren is
definitely weird!

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<kqvc44F5hsuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29710&group=aus.cars#29710

From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 03:57:24 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 17:57 UTC

On 7/11/2023 10:41 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 7/11/2023 11:17 pm, Keithr0 wrote:

>>> It's *perfect* for driving in the suburbs. Especially if it's
>>> adaptive cruise.
>>>
>>> I use it every day.
>>>

>> It's a 15 minute drive through the country into town, much of it is an
>> 80K limit. I use CC to stay out of trouble with the Hyundai vans that
>> are parked along the way from time to time.
>
> Much the same for me.
>
> The adaptive cruise in the Ranger is excellent in that it varies the
> speed with the traffic conditions like any other adaptive cruise, but it
> also has active lane keeping assist and speed sign recognition so it not
> only keeps the thing on the road where it's supposed to be but also
> varies the speed according to changes in the posted limit.
>
> All three active components work very well together, and the speed sign
> recognition is exceptionally good. I've not come across a sign yet it
> hasn't read correctly and adjusted the speed accordingly, including
> temporary signs for roadworks. It also recognises variable speed zones,
> such as in school areas where the limit changes according to the time.
>
> It's incredibly smart, and I'm very impressed with it.

Mine's just a dumb system, you actually have to watch the cars in front
and the speed limit signs yourself. It's a dreadful imposition 🙂

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<uie76k$163im$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29715&group=aus.cars#29715

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 07:37:40 +1100
 by: Noddy - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 20:37 UTC

On 8/11/2023 4:57 am, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 7/11/2023 10:41 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> It's incredibly smart, and I'm very impressed with it.
>>
> Mine's just a dumb system, you actually have to watch the cars in front
> and the speed limit signs yourself. It's a dreadful imposition 🙂

It sounds like it, you poor, underprivileged, oppressed bastard :)

--
--
--

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<kqvo3vF75fnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29716&group=aus.cars#29716

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 08:22:07 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 21:22 UTC

On 7/11/2023 4:06 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:

> there was some criticism of the cruise control wand on MG vehicles as
> being a stupid idea, and why on earth would they do it that way? I
> hadn't bothered to check it out until today, but having now done so, I
> have now concluded it is in fact a good idea. firstly the lever is well
> placed out of the way of others, and it's simple to operate - up/down
> speed control, forward/back off/on, and end press set speed - but the
> big advantage is that you don't need to take your eyes off the road to
> use it. of course, with steering wheel operated controls, if you are
> familiar with their location you don't need to either, but easier to
> grab a lever than fiddle for buttons.

**I agree that, with familiarity, the cruise control on the MG is merely
annoying. For a new driver, it is just plain idiotic. I've owned several
cars equipped with cruise control and driven many more. The MG system
is, far and away, the worst I've ever seen. It took me 5 minutes to find
and figure out the system in my Subaru. In the MG, it took me DAYS.

I read your other post and I agree that MG headlights are surprisingly
horrible. In fact, I am surprised that they meet ADR specs. They are
THAT bad. As bad as headlights were in the pre-halogen days.

--

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<kqvt9bF89o2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29717&group=aus.cars#29717

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 09:50:19 +1100
 by: Daryl - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 22:50 UTC

On 7/11/2023 8:38 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 7/11/2023 6:01 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:
>
>> you're in a location where you can use it. not much use for it driving
>> in the suburbs.
>
> It's *perfect* for driving in the suburbs. Especially if it's adaptive
> cruise.
>
> I use it every day.

Yep, I use CC even in 60 zones in light traffic, saves constantly
looking at the speedo.

--
Daryl

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<kqvtb1F89o2U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29718&group=aus.cars#29718

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 09:51:13 +1100
 by: Daryl - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 22:51 UTC

On 8/11/2023 4:57 am, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 7/11/2023 10:41 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> It's a 15 minute drive through the country into town, much of it is
>>> an 80K limit. I use CC to stay out of trouble with the Hyundai vans
>>> that are parked along the way from time to time.
>>
>> Much the same for me.
>>
>> The adaptive cruise in the Ranger is excellent in that it varies the
>> speed with the traffic conditions like any other adaptive cruise, but
>> it also has active lane keeping assist and speed sign recognition so
>> it not only keeps the thing on the road where it's supposed to be but
>> also varies the speed according to changes in the posted limit.
>>
>> All three active components work very well together, and the speed
>> sign recognition is exceptionally good. I've not come across a sign
>> yet it hasn't read correctly and adjusted the speed accordingly,
>> including temporary signs for roadworks. It also recognises variable
>> speed zones, such as in school areas where the limit changes according
>> to the time.
>>
>> It's incredibly smart, and I'm very impressed with it.
>>
> Mine's just a dumb system, you actually have to watch the cars in front
> and the speed limit signs yourself. It's a dreadful imposition 🙂

LOL.

--
Daryl

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<kr00poF8siuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29719&group=aus.cars#29719

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 10:50:15 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 23:50 UTC

On 8/11/2023 4:57 am, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 7/11/2023 10:41 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> It's a 15 minute drive through the country into town, much of it is
>>> an 80K limit. I use CC to stay out of trouble with the Hyundai vans
>>> that are parked along the way from time to time.
>>
>> Much the same for me.
>>
>> The adaptive cruise in the Ranger is excellent in that it varies the
>> speed with the traffic conditions like any other adaptive cruise, but
>> it also has active lane keeping assist and speed sign recognition so
>> it not only keeps the thing on the road where it's supposed to be but
>> also varies the speed according to changes in the posted limit.
>>
>> All three active components work very well together, and the speed
>> sign recognition is exceptionally good. I've not come across a sign
>> yet it hasn't read correctly and adjusted the speed accordingly,
>> including temporary signs for roadworks. It also recognises variable
>> speed zones, such as in school areas where the limit changes according
>> to the time.
>>
>> It's incredibly smart, and I'm very impressed with it.
>>
> Mine's just a dumb system, you actually have to watch the cars in front
> and the speed limit signs yourself. It's a dreadful imposition 🙂

Yeah, same. But I can live with it, ensures I keep my eye on the road
and surroundings and my mind on the task at hand.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: MG ZS cruise control

<kr00vuF8siuU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29720&group=aus.cars#29720

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 10:53:34 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 23:53 UTC

On 8/11/2023 9:50 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 7/11/2023 8:38 pm, Noddy wrote:
>> On 7/11/2023 6:01 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>>> Xeno wrote:
>>
>>> you're in a location where you can use it. not much use for it
>>> driving in the suburbs.
>>
>> It's *perfect* for driving in the suburbs. Especially if it's adaptive
>> cruise.
>>
>> I use it every day.
>>

> Yep, I use CC even in 60 zones in light traffic, saves constantly
> looking at the speedo.

You mean after 55+ years of driving you *still* cannot judge your car's
speed?

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

aus+uk / aus.cars / MG ZS cruise control

Pages:1234
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.81
clearnet tor